The Criminal History Records Section serves as the Central State Repository for criminal records in the state of Arizona (see Arizona Revised Statute 41-1750).
Criminal justice agencies within Arizona are required by this statute to report arrest and disposition information to the Central State Repository. Copies of criminal records are restricted to authorized individuals/agencies.
Note: Please do not contact "Public Records" regarding Criminal History Records.
Employee Background Checks:
The Applicant Team conducts fingerprint based state and federal criminal history background checks for agencies authorized under ARS 41-1750(G) and Public Law 92-544 to receive the information. Agencies submitting applicant prints must have an FBI approved city, town, or county ordinance, tribal resolution or state statute mandating the criminal history records check. For more information you can contact the Applicant Team at (602) 223-2223.
ARS 41-1750(G) does not provide DPS the statutory authority to process applicant fingerprints and release Arizona state criminal history record information to private companies for employment purposes with the exception of non profit organizations pursuant to ARS 41-1750(G)23.
Fingerprint Clearance Card: If you have been told by an employer or agency that you need a fingerprint clearance card in order to work for a company/agency, contact the Applicant Clearance Card Team at (602) 223-2279.
Clearance Letter: Arizona law does not permit the Central State Repository to do a criminal history record check or to provide a clearance letter for the purpose of immigration, obtaining a visa, or for foreign adoption. Please contact the Criminal History Records Section (602) 223-2222 if you need a notarized copy of this statement.
National Check / Clearance: A national check or clearance can be obtained by contacting the FBI:
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Special Correspondence Unit
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306
Local Clearance: If you need a local clearance, you should contact your local police agency.
Record Reviews: Individuals wishing to review their Arizona criminal record must complete a Record Review Packet.
Record Review Packet
The Criminal History Records Section of the Arizona Department of Public Safety serves as the Central State Repository for criminal records in the State of Arizona (see Arizona Revised Statute §41-1750). The subject of a criminal record may review the information contained in the record for the SOLE PURPOSE OF REVIEWING THE ACCURACY AND COMPLETENESS OF THEIR RECORD.
To Review the record the subject may:
- Request a Record Review Packet by contacting the Criminal History Records Section at (602) 223-2222.
- The Record Review Packet contains the following items:
- Blank Applicant fingerprint card
- Contact Information Sheet
- Pre-addressed return envelope
A response, including a copy of any existing criminal record information, will be mailed to the requester within 15 days of receipt of the completed Record Review Packet. No personal information regarding the identity or address of the requester will be included in the response.
- Download and print the Record Review Packet Instructions
- Download and print the fingerprint card and take it to a law enforcement agency to be fingerprinted. The agency may prefer to use a fingerprint card on standard stock. You may use the fingerprint card provided by the printing agency as long as the fingerprint card is the FBI blue standard applicant fingerprint card and all information identified in the instructions, including the agency and official taking the fingerprints, has been entered on the fingerprint card.
- Download and print the Contact Information Sheet
- Download and print the Record Review Packet Checklist
- Download FAQ for any questions