Concealed Weapons Permit Unit

The Arizona Department of Public Safety (AZDPS) administers the concealed weapons permit program pursuant to Arizona Revised Statute (A.R.S.) § 13-3112.  The Department's Concealed Weapons Permit Unit (CWPU) is responsible for issuing concealed carry permits to qualified individuals, evaluating applicants through criminal history background checks, and monitoring those currently permitted to ensure their continued eligibility.  Our mission is to provide our applicants with excellent customer service and timely and accurate permits.  

As the AZDPS evaluates any amendments to Arizona's concealed weapons permit statutes, any revisions to the Department's policies and procedures will be updated on our website. 

The AZDPS does not approve or endorse any private companies that offer "streamlining services" to assist applicants with the application process.  


The CWPU accepts new and renewal permit applications online! Click the button below to begin the process: 

Visit the Public Services Portal to begin the Concealed Weapons Permit Application Process 

General Eligibility 

Applicants must: 

  • be a resident of this state or a United States citizen; 
  • be 21 years of age or older; or at least 19 years of age with evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge; under honorable conditions from the United States Armed Forces, United States Armed Forces Reserve, or a state National Guard; 
  • not be under indictment for a felony offense; 
  • not be convicted of a felony offense, unless the conviction has been expunged, set aside, vacated, or pardoned, or the individual right to possess firearms has been restored, and must not be a prohibited possessor under state or federal law; 
  • not suffer from mental illness, and/or been adjudicated mentally incompetent, or committed to a mental institution; 
  • not be unlawfully present in the United States; 
  • complete a firearms safety training program pursuant to A.R.S. § 13-3112(N). 

Please note: Persons who were born outside of the United States or one of its territories, must send a copy of proof of citizenship or alien status, and provide an Alien Registration Number, if available.  Any of the following documents are acceptable: 

  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Resident Alien Card
  • Record of Birth Abroad to U.S. citizens 
  • Record of Birth Abroad to Armed Forces Personnel
  • U.S. Passport 

Applications containing errors or incomplete information will be returned to the applicant for correction. 

Please allow 75 days for the Department's CWPU to process your application.  If you have not received your permit or notification after 75 days, please contact the CWPU. 

 Email A CWPU Team Member

Once you have received your permit, please inspect it for any errors.  If you find an error, return the permit along with a completed copy of a "Profile Change Request Form" available under the Applications and Forms tab. 

It is state and federally mandated to deny a concealed weapons permit to any applicant who is considered a prohibited possessor under the following:

State Prohibitions

A.R.S. § 13-3101(7) "Prohibited possessor" means any person:

(a) Who has been found to constitute a danger to self or others or to have a persistent or acute disability or grave disability pursuant to a court order under section 36-540, and whose right to possess a firearm has not been restored pursuant to section 13-925.

(b) Who has been convicted within or without this state of a felony or who has been adjudicated delinquent for a felony and whose civil right to possess or carry a firearm has not been restored.

(c) Who is at the time of possession serving a term of imprisonment in any correctional facility or detention facility.

(d) Who is at the time of possession serving a term of probation pursuant to a conviction for a domestic violence offense as defined in section 13-3601 or a felony offense, parole, community supervision, work furlough, home arrest or release on any other basis or who is serving a term of probation or parole pursuant to the interstate compact under title 31, chapter 3, article 4.1.

(e) Who is an undocumented alien or a nonimmigrant alien traveling with or without documentation in this state for business or pleasure or who is studying in this state and who maintains a foreign residence abroad. This subdivision does not apply to:

(i) Nonimmigrant aliens who possess a valid hunting license or permit that is lawfully issued by state in the United States.

(ii) Nonimmigrant aliens who enter the United States to participate in a competitive target shooting event or to display firearms at a sports or hunting trade show that is sponsored by a national, state or local firearms trade organization devoted to the competitive use or other sporting use of firearms.

(iii) Certain diplomats.

(iv) Officials of foreign governments or distinguished foreign visitors who are designated by the United States Department of State.

(v) Persons who have received a waiver from the United States attorney general.

(f) Who has been found incompetent pursuant to rule 11, Arizona rules of criminal procedure, and who subsequently has not been found competent.

(g) Who is found guilty except insane. 

Federal Prohibitions

18 U.S.C. § 922(g) states, “it shall be unlawful for any person - 

(1) who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year; 

(2) who is a fugitive from justice; 

(3) who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802)); 

(4) who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a mental institution; 

(5) who, being an alien - 

(a) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or

(b) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)); 

(6) who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions; 

(7) who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his citizenship; 

(8) who is subject to a court order that - 

(a) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had an opportunity to participate;

(b) restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child; and 


(i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or  

(ii) by its terms explicably prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury; or 

(9) who has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, 

to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce. 

New Concealed Weapons Permit


Renewal Concealed Weapons Permit


For a Replacement Card or Profile Change Request  

(i.e., error(s) on your card, lost or stolen card, change of address, telephone number updates, legal name changes, etc.)


Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) Certification


LEOSA Instructor Certification

No Fee

CCW Permit Self Surrender

No Fee


The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 was unanimously passed by the United States Senate on July 7, 2004, and authorizes qualified active and retired law enforcement officers to carry concealed firearms, exempting them from certain local and state restrictions. 

In accordance with Arizona Revised Statute (A.R.S.) § 13-3112 (T), the Arizona Department of Public Safety's (AZDPS) Concealed Weapons Permit Unit (CWPU) is responsible for the issuance of LEOSA certificates of firearms proficiency to qualified applicants who meet the requirements set forth in 18 United States Code sections 926B and 926C.  

Arizona Certificate of Firearms Proficiency

To be eligible for a Certificate of Firearms Proficiency, retired or separated officers must complete a qualifications exam with the firearm they intend to carry, including a judgmental shooting evaluation. 

Qualifications must be administered by an Arizona Peace Officer Standard and Training (AZPOST)-certified firearms instructor or a National Rifle Association (NRA) instructor who has been approved by the Department's Concealed Weapons Permit Unit (CWPU).  Active-duty officers may carry a firearm with law enforcement credentials without this certificate.

Application and Documentation for a Certificate of Firearms Proficiency

To apply for a Certificate of Firearms Proficiency, applicants must submit the following:

  • A completed LEOSA application signed by the qualifying instructor.
  • A copy of the applicant's photo identification credentials issued by their agency.
  • A letter from the employing agency, on official letterhead, detailing the applicant's name, badge number, employment dates, and separation status (honorable, in good standing, etc.). The letter must also provide contact information for an agency representative who can verify the provided information is accurate.
  • The application fee is payable via cashier's check, certified check, money order, or credit card (if applying online or in person).  Checks should be made payable to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.  Personal checks are not accepted. 
  • If born outside of the United States, or one of its territories, you must submit one of the following: a record of birth abroad to an American citizen, a record of birth to Armed Services personnel, a U.S. Passport, or a Certificate of Naturalization.

Certificates are valid for one (1) year from the application date.  Renewing a certificate follows a similar process with the exception that agency letters and photocopies of the photo ID are not required, unless the certificate has expired. 


Download the LEOSA Sample Letter

Read the NRA's letter to instructors and training counselors here regarding the use of the NRA's name, titles, and trademarks for online firearms training courses.


Due to the language of the federal law, each state is required to follow state police officer firearms certification requirements.  In Arizona, the AZPOST rules apply.

LEOSA instructors must meet the following prerequisites:

  • Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training (AZPOST) rules.
  • Candidates must be active, retired, or reserve AZPOST-certified firearms instructors or a qualified NRA instructors.
  • All instructors must be approved by the Department's Concealed Weapons Permit Unit.

Additional details and applications are available under the Applications and Fees tab.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am not a resident of Arizona and my home state will not issue a certificate of proficiency.  Can I use an Arizona certificate of proficiency in my home state or elsewhere under LEOSA?

No. Federal law mandates that the certification must be issued by your state of residence to be considered valid.  Certificates issued by the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit are valid for Arizona residents only.

  • Example 1: An officer retires from the Dallas, TX Police Department, moves to Arizona, completes the LEOSA qualification, and obtains the Arizona LEOSA certificate. This officer is qualified under LEOSA.
  • Example 2: An officer retires from the Chicago, IL Police Department and lives in Chicago, IL. Because the officer is unable to find any law enforcement agency in Illinois that is conducting LEOSA qualifications, the officer travels to Arizona and completes the necessary LEOSA qualification.  The officer would be denied by the Department's Concealed Weapons Permit Unit because the applicant does not reside in Arizona. 

Where can I find information on shooting qualifications?

Please visit the Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training (AZPOST) Board website.  The AZPOST offers comprehensive guidelines and requirements for firearms qualifications. This resource is designated to help both current and retired law enforcement officers understand the specific qualifications necessary for carrying firearms under LEOSA.

   Find a LEOSA Instructor Here   

Frequently Asked Questions

I want to apply for an Arizona Concealed Weapons Permit. What should I do?

Begin by reviewing the Arizona concealed carry law A.R.S. § 13-3112, as well as A.R.S. § 13-310118 U.S.C. § 922 (d) and (g), and A.R.S. § 13-3102, Misconduct Involving Weapons, for complete eligibility criteria. 

How do I apply for a permit?

We recommend you apply online by visiting the Public Services Portal.  Downloadable applications and instructions can be found under the Application and Fees tab.

May I deliver my application to the CWPU?

Yes.  You may deliver your application packet to the Arizona Department of Public Safety, Public Services Center, located at 2222 W. Encanto Boulevard in Phoenix between the hours of 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding state and federal holidays.

Where can I get my fingerprints taken?

There are two options for fingerprinting:

  1. Electronic Fingerprints via FieldPrint. Once you've submitted your application online, you will need to schedule an appointment to have your fingerprints taken. Once your fingerprints have been submitted, the CWPU will process your CCW application.
  2. You may contact your local police department, sheriff's office, or a third-party fingerprint provider.  Per state law, you must submit two (2) fingerprint cards with your application and all boxes on the fingerprint card must be completed.  DO NOT bend or fold your fingerprint cards as it may alter your prints and result in a fingerprint rejection.  

My application for a permit was not approved because of a felony arrest many years ago. The prosecutor dropped the charges, and I was never prosecuted. What do I do now?

You must contact the respective prosecutor's office or the court that decided on the case and obtain documentation. Court documents must specifically state you were not charged with and/or have no record of a felony conviction, and that you are not currently under felony indictment.  Submit the documentation to the CWPU within the time limit given on the denial letter.

You may also request a review of your criminal history record by contacting the Central State Repository Section Review and Challenge Unit at (602) 223-2222.

Can I pay my application fee with a personal check?

No. Acceptable forms of payment include money orders, cashier's checks or credit card (if paying in person or online).  Checks shall be made payable to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

Is the application fee refundable if I do not qualify or am denied for a CCW Permit?

No. There are no refunds for the CCW Permit if you do not qualify.

My permit has an error on it.  How should I report this?

Please visit the Applications and Fees tab to obtain a "Permit Card or Profile Change Request" form.  Print the form and complete the appropriate section(s). Mail the form and required fee to the CWPU for processing, and a replacement permit will be generated and mailed to you.

My permit has been lost or stolen.  How do I get a replacement?

Please visit the Applications and Fees tab to obtain a "Permit Card or Profile Change Request" form.  Print the form and complete the appropriate section(s). Mail the form and required fee to the CWPU for processing, and a replacement permit with a new permit number will be generated and mailed to you. 

My address and/or phone number has changed.  How do I report this?

Please visit the Applications and Fees tab to obtain a "Permit Card or Profile Change Request" form.  Print the form and complete the appropriate section(s).  Mail the form to the CWPU for processing and your information will be updated within our database.

I did not receive my permit.  How do I report this?

Please visit the Contact Us tab to reach a CWPU representative.  

Can my spouse/family member/friend inquire about the status of my permit?

No. Pursuant to A.R.S. § 13-3112(J), the CWPU is not permitted to share permit information with anyone other than the applicant/permit holder.

Can I carry a firearm into an establishment that serves alcoholic drinks for consumption on the premises if I have my CCW Permit?

Yes, unless the establishment has posted signs prohibiting weapons (A.R.S. § 4-229). You may not consume alcohol while in possession of your firearm (A.R.S. § 4-244). There are some additional exceptions under A.R.S. § 13-3102.

Can I carry a firearm while wearing a face covering?

Arizona law does not prohibit a person from carrying a firearm and wearing a face covering. If a person commits a crime while armed and their face is covered, this can be an aggravating factor in the criminal charge under A.R.S. § 13-701(D)(26).

I heard that once you obtain an Arizona CCW permit, you have to carry concealed all of the time (if armed) and are forbidden to carry open; Is this true?

No. While in Arizona, you may carry open or concealed. You will need to check other states you may be visiting for their requirements.

I entered a private business with my concealed handgun and CCW Permit. The business did not have any signs posted prohibiting weapons. Shortly thereafter, an employee approached me and said they do not allow firearms in their business and I must take the gun off the premises; Can they do that?

Yes. Arizona law permits private business owners (or their designates) to prohibit weapons from being brought onto their property, whether signs are posted or not. Private businesses are typically non-government-operated businesses such as grocery and department stores, convenience stores, laundromats, banks, office complexes, etc. Failure to obey the request can result in your arrest (A.R.S. §§ 13-1502 and 13-1503).

Are there any firearm restrictions?

  • Businesses serving alcohol for consumption on the premises (exceptions for peace officers and CCW Permittees, see A.R.S. §§ 4-229, 4-244, and 13-3102)
  • Polling places on election days (peace officers are an exception)
  • School grounds (some exceptions – see below) (peace officers are an exception)
  • Commercial nuclear hydroelectric generating stations (peace officers are an exception)
  • Military installations (peace officers are limited)
  • Indian reservations (check w/tribe, peace officers are limited)
  • Game preserves (peace officers are limited)
  • National parks (peace officers are limited) more information available at www.doi.gov or contact the National Park Service regarding pending federal legislation.
  • Correctional facilities
  • Federal buildings (peace officers are limited)
  • Airports (in or beyond security checkpoints) (peace officers are limited)
  • Where federal, state, or local laws prohibit weapons (peace officers are limited)
  • State or local government/private establishments or events when asked by the operator/sponsor/agent. Most government facilities will provide a location to temporarily store a firearm. Persons who refuse to leave and/or secure their weapon are trespassing and can be cited or arrested for A.R.S. §§ 13-1502 or 13-1503, depending on the venue (peace officers are excepted)

I have a CCW Permit - Can I carry my handgun on school grounds while picking up my child?

Conditionally. If you remain in your vehicle and the handgun is unloaded before entering school grounds, yes. If you have to exit your vehicle while picking up your child, the handgun must be unloaded (as above) and secured (locked) within the vehicle out of plain view. Use caution if you must exit the vehicle with a handgun (or any weapon) to secure it in the trunk of your vehicle. Others may see you and not understand your intention. Additionally, designated employees of a school may order a person off of school property if that person is believed to be interfering with school operations. School boards may also enact specific and more restrictive rules governing firearms and deadly weapons on school grounds. Determine what the rules of a school are before attempting to enter school grounds with a firearm. (A.R.S. §§ 13-3102(A)(12), 13-3102(I), and 13-2911)

What are the school exceptions when carrying concealed weapons?

Please see below for school exceptions (concealed or not):

  • You are an adult in a vehicle and the firearm is unloaded before entering school grounds. Furthermore, if you must exit your vehicle, the firearm must remain unloaded and be secured (locked) within the vehicle, out of plain view. Use caution and common sense if you must exit the vehicle with a firearm to secure it in the trunk (avoid causing a potentially serious disturbance).
  • You are an adult attending a firearms-related class (hunter/safety) or participating in a school program that requires you to bring or possess a firearm and the training or event was scheduled and approved by school administrators. This exception also applies to a juvenile accompanied by a parent, grandparent, legal guardian or a certified hunter/firearms safety officer acting with the permission of a parent or guardian. The firearm will be unloaded before entering school grounds and should be placed in a case to avoid causing a potentially serious disturbance.
  • Additionally, designated employees of a school may order a person off of school property if that person is believed to be interfering with school operations. School boards may also enact specific and more restrictive rules governing firearms and deadly weapons on school grounds (A.R.S. § 13-2911).

What are the rules about carrying in states outside of Arizona?

All Arizona Permit holders must be aware of the CCW requirements and laws of all reciprocating/recognizing states. An Arizona CCW permit does not supersede any other state's law or CCW requirements.  Persons carrying an Arizona permit are subject to the laws of the state they are visiting. 

Some states only recognize permits from persons who are a resident of the issuing state and only a certain number of states have an active CCW reciprocal agreement on file with the state of Arizona. This means your Arizona permit allows you to carry concealed under their respective state statute, and Arizona will reciprocate by recognizing CCW permits issued by these states, regardless of whether they are "Resident" or "Non-Resident," if so marked. 

I am moving to Arizona.  Is my concealed weapon permit from my former state of residence transferable?

No.  However, you may be able to use it as proof of firearms competence when applying for an Arizona permit. Please contact the CWPU for additional information.

Can non-residents be issued an Arizona permit?

Yes, provided the applicant is a U.S. citizen. 

Reciprocity and Recognition Agreements

Arizona and any political subdivisions of Arizona shall recognize a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state if both:

(1) The permit or license is recognized as valid in the issuing state;

(2) The permit or license holder is all of the following:

     (a) Legally present in this state

     (b) Not legally prohibited from possessing a firearm in this state 

For the purpose of establishing mutual permit or license recognition with other states, the Arizona Department of Public Safety shall enter into a written agreement if another state requires a written agreement.

Arizona Concealed Weapons Permit holders wishing to carry utilizing their permit while visiting another state are responsible for contacting that state to ensure reciprocity.

Reciprocal Agreements - Concealed Weapon Permits - As of July 15, 2020
  Written Agreement with Arizona Recognizes Arizona Without Written Agreement Does NOT Recognize Arizona Permits
Alabama - Check Mark -
Alaska Check Mark - -
Arkansas Check Mark - -
California - - Check Mark
Colorado - Check Mark -
Connecticut - - Check Mark
Delaware - Check Mark -
Florida - Check Mark -
Georgia - Check Mark -
Hawaii - - Check Mark
Idaho Check Mark - -
Illinois - - Check Mark
Indiana - Check Mark -
Iowa - Check Mark -
Kansas - Check Mark -
Kentucky - Check Mark -
Louisiana - Check Mark -
Maine - Check Mark -
Maryland - - Check Mark
Massachusetts - - Check Mark
Michigan - Check Mark -
Minnesota - - Check Mark
Mississippi - Check Mark -
Missouri - Check Mark -
Montana - Check Mark -
Nebraska - Check Mark -
Nevada - Check Mark -
New Hampshire - Check Mark -
New Jersey - - Check Mark
New Mexico - Check Mark -
New York - - Check Mark
North Carolina - Check Mark -
North Dakota - Check Mark -
Ohio Check Mark - -
Oklahoma - Check Mark -
Oregon - - Check Mark
Pennsylvania Check Mark - -
Rhode Island - - Check Mark
South Carolina - Check Mark -
South Dakota Check Mark - -
Tennessee - Check Mark -
Texas Check Mark - -
Utah - Check Mark -
Vermont - - Check Mark
Virginia - Check Mark -
Washington - - Check Mark
West Virginia Check Mark - -
Wisconsin - Check Mark -
Wyoming - Check Mark -

Warning: It is extremely important that all Arizona Permit holders be aware of the CCW requirements and laws of all reciprocating/recognizing states.  An Arizona CCW permit does not supersede any other state's law or CCW requirements. Persons carrying an Arizona permit are subject to the laws of the state they are visiting.  If you are an Arizona permit holder traveling to another state and wish to carry a concealed weapon using your Arizona permit, contact that state directly to confirm their recognition status before carrying concealed weapons.


Expired Concealed Weapons Permit
  • To renew a Concealed Weapons Permit, the permit holder shall, no more than 90 days before or 60 days after the date of expiration. 
  • Renewals must be received by the Department within 60 days after the expiration date.
  • Renewals received 61 days after expiration will be returned to the permit holder and a new application with the corresponding new application fee.
  • If an expired permit issued by the CWPU is presented as proof that the individual has demonstrated competence with a firearm, the 'permit' presented must be in good standing to be eligible as proof. Revoked permits will not be considered.

The applicant must:

  • Complete and submit an original Concealed Weapons Permit application.
  • Submit two sets of classifiable fingerprints utilizing CWPU-approved applicant fingerprint cards.
  • Submit your expired Arizona Concealed Weapons Permit card.
  • Submit the applicable fee required to obtain a new permit.
Payment Information

It is recommended that your cashier’s check or money order have an expiration date of 90 days or more. Personal checks, business checks, credit card payments, and cash are not accepted.

Individuals who are no longer interested in maintaining an Arizona permit may surrender their permit.

Once a permit is surrendered, it may not be reinstated. If, after surrendering a permit, you wish to obtain an Arizona Concealed Weapons Permit, you will be required to apply for a new permit.

1. Complete the CWP Self-Surrender form which can be located on this web page below.
2.Attach the permit card to the form in the designated area.
3. Mail the completed form, and permit card, to the address listed on the form.

CWP Self-Surrender Form

How can we help?

Thank you for your interest in contacting the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit of the Arizona Department of Public Safety. You may contact us using any of the methods listed below.

Visit the Public Services Portal for Assistance with all of your Concealed Weapons Permit Needs

  Hours: Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. We are closed on all state holidays.

  Email: [email protected]

Metro Phoenix: (602) 256-6280
Outside Metro Phoenix (In Arizona): (800) 256-6280

Concealed Weapons Permit Unit
P.O. Box 6488 | Mail Drop 3170
Phoenix, AZ 85005

  Physical Address:
Arizona Department of Public Safety
Public Services Center
2222 W. Encanto Boulevard
Phoenix, AZ 85009