The Public Records Unit (PRU) processes requests from the public for various departmental records, with the exception of collision (accident) reports and photographs, which are processed by Department Records.
1. All requests for public records should be submitted in writing or online. Pursuant to A.R.S. 39-121.03, when requests for copies, printouts or photographs of public records are for a commercial purpose, the requestor shall provide a statement setting forth the commercial purpose for which the copies, printouts or photographs will be used. Requests may be submitted in any of the following ways:
a. Online - using the Public Records Request Form
b. In person - at the Department Records Section at the Arizona Department of Public Safety, 2222 West Encanto Blvd., Phoenix, AZ.
c. Mailed to the Department of Public Safety, Attention PRU MD3240, P.O. Box 6638, Phoenix, AZ 85005-6638
d. Faxed to (602) 223-2945
2. Once the requested reports are received and processed, an invoice will be sent to the requestor via USPS mail, fax, or e-mail.
3. When payment, in the form of a money order, cashiers check, or business check, is received by PRU, the records will be released to the requestor. No personal checks are accepted.
4. In accordance with ARS § 39-121, public records may be reviewed prior to purchase or copying. In order to review records an appointment must be made by first contacting 602-223-2345. Please leave a message with your name, a contact number and the invoice number.
5. Requests are processed in the order they are received. Some records may take longer than others to process; for example, archived reports prior to 2001, active investigations.
6. Please allow 15 to 20 business days for your request to be processed. Please do not call to check the status until 20 days after your request was submitted. Requests that involve large amounts of data, video, and/or audio may require more time to process.
7. Fee Schedule
- 1 to 9 pages - $9.00
- 10 or more pages - $0.10 per page
- Fax - $9.00 (20 page limit)
- Email - $9.00 (5 MB)
- CD - $10.00 (700 MB)
- DVD - $15.00 (4.7 GB)
- Flash Drive - $20.00 (16 GB)
- Photographs - available via CD or DVD for $15.00
Please note: You will receive an invoice in the mail when you request is complete. Please do not come back to pick up your requested items unless previously arranged. Personal checks are not accepted. Acceptable forms of payment are cashier checks, money orders or business checks.
602-223-2345 - Phone
602-223-2945 - Fax
Public Records Unit
Arizona Department of Public Safety
Phoenix , AZ 85005-6638
Do you handle accident (collision) reports?
The Department Records Unit handles accident reports and accident photograph requests.
However, Public Records will respond to civil subpoena duces tecum for an accident report and photographs. Public records will also certify documents.
What reports do the Public Records Unit handle?
The Public Records Unit handles requests for any and all documents in the possession of the Department, except for accident reports and accident photographs.
Does the Public Records Unit charge a fee?
Yes. The Public Records Unit charges a fee for all documents and other mediums requested. See the Fee Schedule page for prices and payment methods.
When do I pay the fee and how will I know how much to pay?
Once the documents or items you requested have been gathered, you will receive an invoice for the amount due. Your requested materials will be mailed once your payment has been received. Currently, the Unit accepts cashier checks, money orders and business checks for payment.
What information do I need to provide in order to request a report?
You need to provide any and all information you have available in order to aide us in locating the report or records you are requesting. We have provided a Public Records Request Form for you to email or print and fax to Public Records for a request. Please fill in all the information you have available. Please be specific about the type of document you are requesting.
How long will it take for me to receive a copy of the report requested?
The Department makes every effort to satisfy requests in a timely manner, but the amount of items requested and the amount of requests the unit is currently handling will always affect the time it will take to complete requests. The Unit requests that you allow at least 20 days for your request to be processed. Requests for older reports may take longer as they are stored offsite.
Can I make my request in person?
The Public Records Unit does not have a public entrance. However, requests may be dropped off at the public counter at the Department Records Unit (Accident Records window) located at 2102 West Encanto Blvd , Phoenix , AZ 85009 .
Can I come in and pick up the report today?
Information released by the Department (other than accident reports) must be viewed for content before being released. Documents may be reviewed by appointment only with the documents custodian. Contact Public Records.