The purpose of the Blue Alert program is to establish a notification system that provides immediate information to the public through issuing and coordinating alerts using various resources following a violent attack upon a law enforcement officer.
The goal of the Blue Alert is to protect the public and officers through efficient information dissemination and communication that results in quick and safe apprehension of suspect(s) when such attacks occur.
Arizona Blue Alert Criteria
As prescribed by A.R.S. 28-1726, specific criteria are established in statue. DPS will issue a Blue Alert when the following criteria has been met as listed below.
- Death, serious, or life-threatening injury to a law enforcement officer.
- Suspect poses an imminent threat to the public or other officers.
- Suspect is at large in a vehicle.
- The vehicle license plate number or detailed description of the vehicle exists.
Arizona Resource Activations
- Emergency Alert System (EAS): As of January 1, 2019, the Federal Communications Commission has created a specific code for Blue Alert EAS activations, that are capable of interrupting normal broadcasts.
- Wireless Emergency Alert (WEA): As of June 30, 2019, the Federal Communications Commission has created a specific activation code for Blue Alert WEA activations that will send alerts directly to a wireless phone or device.
- Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) Vehicle Messaging System (VMS) Boards.
- All Points Bulletin (APB): Regular broadcasts to law enforcement.
- The DPS Alerts Website.
- The Arizona DPS Mobile Application (for Apple and Android).
- Social Media (Twitter and Facebook), Text, and Email.