Update: 9-11-17, 11:35 a.m.
Blood Alcohol Results: Toxicology results from the Maricopa County Medical Examiner's Officer show wrong- way driver Keaton Allison had a blood alcohol level of .25 at the time of the collision.
Toxicology results showed there was no impairment by either victims.
Dispatch received reports of a wrong-way vehicle traveling southbound within the northbound lanes of I-17 near the Happy Valley exit at 2:09 a.m. At 2:10 a.m., dispatch received a report of a collision involving the wrong-way vehicle and another white passenger car. The cars collided in the the number two lane at a high rate of speed. There were no signs of either vehicle attempting to brake or avoid the collision.
- One male subject in the wrong-way vehicle was trapped inside the car as well as the two female occupants of the white passenger car.
- All had to be extricated by Phoenix Fire.
- All were pronounced dead at the scene.
- Wrong-way driver was Keaton Tyler Allison age 21, Colorado Springs, CO
- Impairment has not been ruled out.
*Note that the ages of the decedents have been updated on this entry from the original entry that was posted on April 14, 2017.
- End update. -
April 14, 2017, 11:18 a.m.
We are investing a wrong-way crash that claimed the life of three people. The crash occurred within the northbound traffic lanes of I-17, just north of Greenway Rd.
- There were a total of three driver/occupants that had to be extricated by the fire department
- They were all pronounced deceased on scene.
- The at-fault driver, a 22-year-old male, was driving a silver Chrysler Sebring with a Colorado license plate.
- Two women, ages 20 and 19, the driver and passenger respectfully, were traveling in a white passenger car with a North Carolina license plate.
Currently, our troopers are reaching out to North Carolina and Colorado State Troopers in order to conduct the next of kin notifications that will also help investigators determine the status of the decedents in this state.
Preliminary information is that at 2:08 a.m., we received the initial report of a vehicle traveling wrong-way, southbound within the northbound traffic lanes of I-17, in the area of Happy Valley/Pinnacle Peak. The second call we received reported the collision between the two passenger cars, just north of Greenway Rd, which is approximately six miles south of the initial report.
Impairment has not been ruled out.
Please continue to check back here for the latest updates.