In early February, the AZDPS Fugitive Apprehension Unit (FAU) was requested to provide assistance locating a suspect who had fled from a traffic stop one week earlier, initiating a brief pursuit. The trooper who initiated the traffic stop was able to identify the suspect and determined he was the registered owner of the vehicle, Wesley Scott Markham.
Further research revealed Markham was the subject of three active felony arrest warrants out of Maricopa County for probation violations. Markham was also suspected of involvement in a June 2019 residential burglary in which multiple firearms were stolen.
Following further investigation, FAU detectives located and arrested Markham without incident in Tempe on February 25, 2020.
Markham, 48, was arrested on the following charges:
- 3 Felony Probation Warrants
- Trafficking Stolen Property - 1st Degree
- Trafficking Stolen Property - 2nd Degree
- Residential Burglary - 2nd Degree
- Theft of Property
- Control of Stolen Property
- Misconduct Involving Weapons - Prohibited Possessor (multiple counts)
- Possession of a Narcotic Drug
- Possession of Marijuana
- Possession of Prescription Medication
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- Unlawful Flight from Law Enforcement
To date, seven stolen firearms have been recovered as part of this investigation.