Criminal History Records


How can I get a copy of my criminal history record?
The Criminal History Records Section serves as the Central State Repository for criminal records in the State of Arizona (See Arizona Revised Statute §41-1750).

You may request a copy of your Arizona criminal record if you believe it is inaccurate or incomplete. To request your Arizona criminal history record, you will need to obtain a “Record Review Packet".

Why do I need to submit my fingerprints?
A full set of legible rolled fingerprints is required to ensure positive identification of the individual requesting the record review. 

How long does this take?
A response, including a copy of any existing criminal record information, will be mailed to the requester within 15 days of receipt of the completed Record Review Packet.  No personal information regarding the identity or address of the requester will be included in the response.   

Is there a fee for obtaining a criminal history record on myself?

If I feel that there is a mistake in my criminal record, how do I take care it?

  • Upon receipt of the record review results, if you feel that your record is inaccurate or incomplete:
    • You can challenge your criminal record by completing the “Review and Challenge of Arizona Criminal History Record Information” form which will be mailed to you with the results of the record review.
    • Complete the Review and Challenge form and mail it to the Criminal History Records Section at the address listed on the Review and Challenge Form.
  • The Central State Repository will audit the information you have indicated as being either inaccurate or incomplete by:
    • Contacting the criminal justice agency(ies) within Arizona that provided the information to the Central State Repository in order to verify the data.
    • If a correction is necessary:
      • The Central State Repository will update/modify your criminal record and notify the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) of any modifications to ensure the state and federal records are synchronized.
      • The audit result will be mailed to you with a copy of your updated criminal record, if applicable.
      • You should receive a response within 15 days of your request.

Can I receive the results of the record review and challenge by telephone?
No. The results of a record review and challenge will only be returned by mail.

How do I get a personal letter saying that I do not have a criminal record?

  • Letters are not provided for this purpose.
  • After completing the record review and challenge process, if the results are negative:
    • The written audit result will be mailed to you without a copy of a criminal record and will contain no name or other identifiers.

How long will charges remain on my record?
The Central State Repository shall retain a criminal history record until the subject of record reaches age 99 or one year after the Department receives notice of the subject of record's death.

How do I get a criminal history record check or a letter of clearance for the purpose of immigration, visa, or adoption?

  • The Arizona Central State Repository is not legally permitted to provide clearance letters or to perform criminal record checks for the purposes of immigration, obtaining a visa or for an adoption. A copy of a statement from the Arizona Department of Public Safety is available on the Criminal History Records overview page.
  • A national criminal records check can be obtained by contacting:
    Federal Bureau of Investigation
    Special Correspondence Unit
    1000 Custer Hollow Road
    Clarksburg, WV 26306
    Telephone: (304) 625-5590
  • If you need a local clearance, you should contact your local police agency.

How do I get a criminal record check on someone else?
Only authorized individuals, /agencies, or /companies can obtain criminal record information on another person. For more information, refer to the Criminal History Records Overview page.

How do I get a criminal history on myself for the purpose of employment?

  • Individuals who require a background check for employment must go through the applicant fingerprint process.
  • The applicant fingerprint process is usually handled through the employer.
  • Check with the employer to see what policies and procedures are in place at their organization.

How do I get a criminal history on myself when I was arrested in another state?
Contact the state police or identification bureau for the state you believe has an arrest record for you and request information on reviewing your criminal record.

How do I get my record sealed?
Contact the court that handled your case.

The court sealed my record. Why do I still have a criminal history record?

  • A court order to seal a record does not extend to the criminal record contained within the Arizona Central State Repository.

Can I get my record expunged?
Please refer to ARS 13-4051.

Is there a way to get a conviction set aside?
Please refer to ARS 13-907.

Is there a way to get my civil rights restored?
Please refer to ARS 13-905 and ARS 13-908.

How do I restore my right to bear arms?
Please refer to ARS 13-908.

What are the different Arizona Revised Statutes relating to court orders?