Criminal History Records
The Criminal History Records Section serves as the Central State Repository for criminal records in the state of Arizona (see Arizona Revised Statute 41-1750).
Criminal justice agencies within Arizona are required by this statute to report arrest and disposition information to the Central State Repository. Copies of criminal records are restricted to authorized individuals/agencies.
- Employee Background Checks:
- The Applicant Team conducts fingerprint based state and federal criminal history background checks for agencies authorized under ARS 41-1750(G) and Public Law 92-544 to receive the information. Agencies submitting applicant prints must have an FBI approved city, town, or county ordinance, tribal resolution or state statute mandating the criminal history records check. For more information you can contact the Applicant Team at (602) 223-2223.
- ARS 41-1750(G) does not provide DPS the statutory authority to process applicant fingerprints and release Arizona state criminal history record information to private companies for employment purposes with the exception of non profit organizations pursuant to ARS 41-1750(G)23.
- Fingerprint Clearance Card: If you have been told by an employer or agency that you need a fingerprint clearance card in order to work for a company/agency, contact the Applicant Clearance Card Team at (602) 223-2279.
- Clearance Letter: Arizona law does not permit the Central State Repository to do a criminal history record check or to provide a clearance letter for the purpose of immigration, obtaining a visa, or for foreign adoption. Please contact the Criminal History Records Section (602) 223-2222 if you need a notarized copy of this statement.
- National Check / Clearance: A national check or clearance can be obtained by contacting the FBI:
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Special Correspondence Unit
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306
- Local Clearance: If you need a local clearance, you should contact your local police agency.
- Record Reviews: Individuals wishing to review their Arizona criminal record must complete a Record Review Packet.