Job Descriptions & Pay
|Salary Schedule:||Approved Arizona Law Enforcement Merit System Council Salary Schedule|
|Summary Statement:||Plans, coordinates, directs and evaluates work of sworn and civilian personnel in patrol, criminal investigations, or support sections of the Department, or in outside agency assignments. May serve in an administrative position. Performs related duties as required. This is a competitive classification.|
|Essential Functions:||(not intended to be all inclusive)
1. Plans, schedules, coordinates and supervises the work of sworn sergeants and officers and civilian supervisors and employees.
2. Reviews the work of assigned personnel to ensure compliance with Departmental policies and procedures.
3. Evaluates employee performance. Provides for necessary training to correct deficiencies or enhance career development. Initiates discipline when appropriate. Prepares performance appraisals and supporting documentation.
4. Serves as mentor and enables employee development.
5. Participates in the development of departmental policies, procedures, and directives.
6. Inspects and evaluates organizational operations, plans and programs. Maximizes the utilization of resources to achieve the highest degree of productivity.
7. Serves in the absence of the major/manager.
8. Prepares a budget and controls expenditures for personnel, equipment and general operations.
9. Prepares comprehensive reports, staff studies, and other written communications.
10. Develops grant proposals.
11. Coordinates and directs the operations of multi-agency task forces.
12. Prepares comprehensive action, response, and operation plans.
13. Maintains inter-agency and community relationships through personal contact and subordinate interaction.
14. Participates on boards, committees, and task forces.
15. Presents information to diverse audiences through written and oral communications.
16. Oversees investigations into citizen or internal complaints against the Department or its employees in order to make recommendations.
17. Directs and controls complex criminal investigations.
18. Evaluates and utilizes data from information systems.
19. Exercises full peace officer authority when required.
|Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:||Knowledge of:
1. the political and community infrastructure.
2. AZPOST and Departmental training requirements.
3. principles and practices of supervision and management.
4. principles of conflict management.
5. crisis management techniques and procedures.
6. tactical operation and/or task force procedures.
7. investigative techniques.
8. principles of program management.
9. police methods, practices and procedures.
10. federal, state and local statutes, regulations, mandates, and court decisions.
11. Department's mission, goals, directives, rules, regulations and organizational structure.
12. Departmental and multi-agency programs.
13. issues related to public safety.
14. basic principles of budget development and management.
15. electronic information systems (data bases, spreadsheets, word processing).
1. written communication to prepare clear, accurate and comprehensive reports.
2. oral communications with diverse audiences of varying sizes.
1. plan, organize, and manage human and material resources.
2. establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of assignment.
Must possess and maintain AZ POST certification as a sworn peace officer.
Must have a valid Arizona driver's license.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
May be required to respond to crime scenes or critical incidents.
May be exposed to outdoor weather conditions, fumes or dust, toxic or caustic chemicals or bodily fluids.
|Minimum Qualifications:||Requires three years of experience and permanent status as a Sergeant with the Arizona Department of Public Safety. Must have an overall employee performance evaluation rating of at least "Standard" for the last 12 months. Sixty (60) semester hours (or the equivalent quarter hours) from an accredited college or university may substitute for one year of experience.
Must succesfully complete the examination process.
FLSA status: Exempt
Current as of: 4/19/2014 3:39:46 PM