Job Descriptions & Pay
|Class Title:||GRAPHIC DESIGNER|
|Salary Schedule:||Approved Arizona Law Enforcement Merit System Council Salary Schedule|
|Summary Statement:||Designs and implements manual and electronic forms for the Department and monitors and coordinates the use of forms. May supervise related functions within the Department. Performs related duties as assigned. This is a competitive classification.|
|Essential Functions:||1. Consults with client agencies (e.g., federal, state, local, Department of Public Safety, etc.) to plan, schedule, and complete graphic arts projects by obtaining and providing cost estimates, recommending methods of production, and producing the finished product.
2. Conceptualizes, designs, creates desktop layouts, and creates written documents (e.g., brochures, manuals, pamphlets, newsletters, bulletins, advertisements, mailers, posters, maps, charts, signs, logos, certificates, bumper stickers, tent cards, reports, etc.) to be used by client agencies.
3. Prepares and produces dummy mock-ups and camera-ready art according to specifications.
4. Performs touch-up and retouches on various materials to create a sharp, clean image for importing and graphics purposes.
5. Designs, develops, and produces black/white, single color, and multi-color graphic images to provide camera-ready art work for reproduction in promotional items and bid specifications for apparel (e.g., shoulder patches, slash marks, rank stripes, badges, etc.).
6. Proofreads customer supplied text copy and corrects errors in graphic files.
7. Sizes, crops, and mounts photographs, maps, charts, signage, captions and finished art to provide accurate proportional images and displayable graphics for viewing.
8. Builds tables, charts and graphs to provide information in an easily understood and readable format (e.g., annual reports, Uniform Crime Reports [UCR], statistical data, etc.).
9. Interacts with vendors to procure paper products and art supplies by the most cost-effective means through Requests for Proposal, bid specifications, purchase orders, etc.
10. Remains current on job-specific procedures through training courses, workshops, seminars, professional publications, professional associations, etc. to apply appropriate methodologies.
11. Serves on various committees/tasks forces for the Department and external agencies to provide input and exchange information.
12. Reviews and approves silverprints and color keys.
13. Develops and maintains standards for forms design, construction and printing to ensure data collection capabilities are accomplished in an efficient and effective manner.
|Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:||Knowledge of:
1. the principles and practices of graphics and layout to develop camera-ready art.
2. the principles, procedures, and techniques of scanning materials into an automated file.
3. the procedures for developing color transparencies.
1. the use of keyboard devices.
2. program management.
3. the use of personal computer hardware and applicable software (e.g., desktop publishing, graphics, presentations, etc.).
4. the operation of electronic, printing, and photographic equipment.
5. the use of artistic materials for display purposes.
1. analyze information and draw valid conclusions.
2. work independently with minimal supervision.
3. use standard office equipment.
4. maintain working relationships with employees and the public.
5. communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
6. perform mathematical calculations involving addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
|Minimum Qualifications:||Requires three (3) years of experience in the design, development, implementation, and management of manual and electronic forms. One (1) year of related education (e.g., desktop publishing, Computer Aided Design Drafting (CADD), computer science, etc.) may substitute for one (1) year of the required experience.
Progression to the next pay level/step requires an overall performance rating of at least "Standard" in the last 12 months.
Must successfully complete the examination process.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Current as of: 4/21/2014 2:35:24 AM