Job Descriptions & Pay
FINANCIAL SERVICES SPECIALIST
|Class Title:||FINANCIAL SERVICES SPECIALIST|
|Salary Schedule:||Approved Arizona Law Enforcement Merit System Council Salary Schedule|
|Summary Statement:||Responsible for a variety of highly responsible general accounting functions for all areas of the Department to include accounts payable, travel, and transfer/deposits of funds. Responsibilities include preparing financial documents for payment or for depositing, transferring and categorizing funds; monitoring and tracking financial information; administering support functions for all aspects of employee travel; maintaining accurate records and files and resolving problems occurring within the assignment. Supervision is received from an Administrative Supervisor. This is a competitive classification.|
|Essential Functions:||(not intended to be all inclusive)
1. Prepares and/or processes financial documents or travel claims in order to pay vendors for purchases or services rendered or reimburse employees for travel expenses.
2. Verifies daily cash deposits received from several Department sections and prepares daily deposits for submission to the State Treasurer's Office.
3. Inputs requisition information into statewide financial system in order to produce purchase order hard copies.
4. Coordinates airline reservations, car rentals, and lodging reservations with state contracted travel agency for employees traveling on state business. Ensures appropriate management approvals have been obtained prior to coordinating travel arrangements. Prioritizes a high volume of travel requests and claims to ensure lowest airfares available and timely reimbursement of employee travel funds.
5. Prepares and classifies transfers of funds between agencies and cost centers within the Department.
6. Enters transfers, claims, deposits and/or travel data information into/from the statewide financial system accounting system. Establishes vendor numbers for employees and updates changes of addresses when requested. Batch processes both intra and inter departmental transfers.
7. Communicates orally and in writing with vendors, DOA personnel, budget/grant coordinators, and various other Departmental personnel in order to resolve and reconcile problems, notify appropriate personnel of any changes, interpret and explain travel policies, and provide information regarding the DPS financial system and proper coding of financial documents.
8. Audits financial documents, travel claims, and transfer and deposit documents to ensure they meet DOA Accounting Manual and travel policies, Department General Orders and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
9. Researches and reconciles billing discrepancies to ensure the accuracy of payments. Researches invoices to determine the appropriate budget unit for payment. Researches, analyzes and resolves posting errors that occur in the Uniform Statewide Accounting System.
10. Prepares and processes journal vouchers to invest/divest seized and forfeited funds.
11. Develops and maintains computerized spreadsheets to track information such as revenues deposited into the Highway Patrol Fund, vehicle titles, NSF checks. Reconciles financial reports and records to verify monies deposited.
12. Processes applications, account changes and cancellations for Diners Club credit cards.
13. Tracks open purchase orders to ensure total funds expended do not exceed funds encumbered.
14. Directs calls and distributes mail within the Finance Section.
15. Verifies accuracy of the data entry function by comparing printed warrants against the claims prior to distribution. Edits daily automated purchase order file to correct errors and generate printing of Department purchase orders.
16. Establishes, updates and maintains manual and automated filing systems for confidential and administrative files to satisfy audit requirements and to track information.
17. Delivers and retrieves financial data to and from various state agencies using a state vehicle on a daily basis.
18. Evaluates and makes recommendations regarding procedural changes in adherence to DOA accounting rules and State accounting guidelines.
19. Issues control numbers and maintains a paper trail of condemned and transferred fixed assets and equipment to state surplus property.
20. Represents the Department at State Travel Coordinator meetings to remain current on DOA travel policies and procedures.
21. Participates in the review and revision of travel and financial related General Orders to ensure compliance with DOA travel policies.
|Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:||Knowledge of:
1. primary financial records (i.e. payables, receivables, expenditures, revenues, and financial statements).
2. basic mathematical calculations (i.e. addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and percentages).
1. the use of office equipment (including a computer, calculator, telephone, typewriter, fax machine, copier).
1. adhere to high standards of confidentiality and honesty.
2. review, proofread, and verify forms and financial documents for accuracy in calculation, coding and adherence to policies and procedures.
3. research and reconcile inaccuracies and errors in financial documents.
4. work independently with minimal supervision.
5. plan, organize, and carry out work in a timely and efficient manner.
6. establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of assignment, such as other department employees, management, vendors and other government agency employees.
7. read, comprehend and interpret written materials of moderate difficulty.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
|Minimum Qualifications:||Requires two (2) years of general accounting experience; accounting or related courses from an accredited college or university may substitute for up to one (1) year (i.e. 30 semester hours) of the required experience.
Progression to the next pay level/step requires an overall performance rating of at least Ã¢â‚¬Å“StandardÃ¢â‚¬Â in the last 12 months.
Must successfully complete the examination process.
FLSA Status Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Non-Exempt
Current as of: 5/18/2013 9:26:05 PM