Job Descriptions & Pay
Current as of: 3/12/2014 1:44:43 AM
CRIMINAL RECORDS SPECIALIST
|Class Title:||CRIMINAL RECORDS SPECIALIST|
|Salary Schedule:||Approved Arizona Law Enforcement Merit System Council Salary Schedule|
|Summary Statement:||Performs skilled data entry, file searches, maintenance and retrieval of criminal justice reports, records and other related materials. Performs complex record keeping, filing duties, compilation of statistics and general clerical work. Information retrieved and released must be accurate and released only to authorized personnel. Performs related duties as assigned. This is a competitive classification.
|Essential Functions:||(not intended to be all inclusive)
1. Queries information on computerized criminal justice information systems (e.g., OPPIS, LEJIS, DART, ACJIS, ACIC/NCIC, Interpol, etc.) to obtain or disseminate criminal history information (e.g., arrests, warrants, dispositions, etc.) in response to internal and external requests.
2. Contacts with the public and/or various criminal justice agencies (via telephone, in person or in writing) in order to resolve records problems and complaints; explain laws and procedures; request, provide or verify information; and/or collect fees.
3. Enters data of criminal activity information from various sources or application information or user agency information into computerized criminal justice information systems (e.g., ACJIS, ACIC/NCIC, PAWN, LEJIS, ORION, etc.) or tracking systems to add, update, modify or purge information. Enters general information (e.g., time and activity, user agency address and authorization, etc.) into a computerized tracking system in order to originate, update, reconcile, transfer or track data.
4. Verifies submitted paperwork by proofreading and comparing data to ensure accuracy.
5. Reviews files, documents (e.g., arrest cards, dispositions, court orders, sex offender registration, etc.) or computer printouts to ensure quality control of completeness and accuracy of criminal justice information.
6. Confirms arrest warrants to determine validity and release for action by law enforcement agencies and the courts.
7. Receives, opens and routes incoming mail to ensure proper processing and distribution.
8. Remains current on job-specific procedures in order to apply appropriate methodologies through familiarization with various manuals (e.g., ACJIS and NCIC operating manuals, unit procedures, etc.), publications, bulletins, state and federal laws; and attending meetings and training courses.
9. Tracks assignments to assure accurate and timely completion of all assignments.
10. Monitors access and dissemination of criminal record information in order to maintain security in compliance with federal and state laws.
11. Files, retrieves and maintains a variety of information (e.g., approved/denied applications, accident/offense/incident reports, photograph negatives, offender documents, etc.) to ensure compliance with state and federal laws and to fill requests from internal and external sources.
12. Monitors teletype inquiries for criminal history information in order to ensure prompt response, take appropriate action, and ensure other law enforcement agencies respond appropriately and within time limit parameters in accordance with state laws.
13. Trains new employees in unit procedures under the direction of the supervisor.
14. Processes and distributes daily reports to track daily work progress, project status and statistics.
15. Prepares records for or requests copies from storage.
|Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:||Knowledge of:
1. business English, spelling, grammar and punctuation required to produce and proofread written documents.
2. modern office practices, procedures and equipment required to perform office functions in an efficient manner.
3. records management systems (automated and manual files).
1. the use of computer keyboard devices.
2. the use of computer software programs.
3. reviewing, proofreading, editing and verifying forms, documents, computer printouts and other written materials for accuracy in content of information, calculation, coding and adherence to policies and procedures.
1. work as part of a team.
2. file documents in alphabetical or chronological order.
3. exercise good judgement in safeguarding sensitive and confidential information.
4. understand written and verbal instruction to complete assigned tasks accurately.
5. perform detailed work with a high degree of accuracy.
6. calculate mathematical problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
7. establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of assignment.
8. read, comprehend and interpret written materials of simple or moderate complexity.
9. work with interruptions.
10. adapt to changing priorities.
11. work independently with minimal supervision.
12. organize, prioritize and perform multiple tasks.
13. work within stringent deadlines to complete work assignments.
14. effectively communicate orally and in writing.
15. evaluate information, make decisions, and take appropriate action.
16. learn automated criminal information systems and appropriate codes (e.g., NCIC, ACCH, FACT, etc.).
17. operate a multiple line telephone system in order to answer or route incoming calls.
18. take accurate and concise notes on research information.
19. initiate the expansion of a task to achieve an established goal.
20. deal with irate people.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Bending, stooping, kneeling and/or squatting to access or file records may be required.
Moving items up to 40 pounds from one location to another may be required.
May be required to sit for extended periods of time.
Must obtain ACJIS Terminal Operator Certification within six months of hire, and maintain certification throughout the course of this assignment with the Department.
May be required to travel to perform certain work functions.
Holidays, weekends and shift work may be required.
|Minimum Qualifications:||Requires one (1) year of clerical experience to include word processing or data entry skills. Must type a minimum of 40 net words per minute.
Progression to the next pay level/step requires an overall performance rating of at least "Standard" in the last 12 months.
Must successfully complete the examination process.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Please download and review the below document(s) relating to this position: