Job Descriptions & Pay
COMPUTER/NETWORK OPERATOR TRAINEE
|Class Title:||COMPUTER/NETWORK OPERATOR TRAINEE|
|Salary Schedule:||Approved Arizona Law Enforcement Merit System Council Salary Schedule|
|Summary Statement:||This is a one-year limited term, entry level trainee position in computer/network operations. It is designed to allow the incumbent to acquire the necessary skills, training and experience required to enter the classification of Computer/Network Operator. Advancement to Computer/Network Operator is earned after satisfactory performance during this one year probationary period and successful completion of the Computer/Network Operator examination process.
The Computer/Network Operator Trainee assists with the duties and responsibilities of computer/network operations, including the operation of a large scale, systems-oriented electronic digital computer mainframe and its peripheral equipment. Performs other duties as assigned. This is a competitive classification.
|Essential Functions:||(not intended to be all inclusive)
Under direct supervision, the Computer/Network Operator Trainee participates in on-the-job training to develop competency in performing the following tasks:
1. Operates the computer network equipment to ensure that various systems are available to customers seven days a week, 24 hours a day in order to provide criminal justice information to local/state/federal law enforcement agencies.
2. Observes and interprets computer and network system messages to ensure that computer commands are responded to in a timely manner and that computer system problems are resolved quickly when hardware, software or power failures occur.
3. Reports problems to vendor service representatives when outages occur to ensure that corrective action is taken in a timely manner and to restore various system services as quickly as possible.
4. Monitors the mainframe computer system and the Criminal Justice Information System to ensure efficient utilization and allocation of computer resources and facilities, maintain satisfactory response time, provide timely information for local/state/federal and international law enforcement agencies and to ensure police officer safety.
5. Processes batch production job requests to ensure timely and accurate production output and delivery to DPS and other law enforcement agencies.
6. Communicates orally and in writing with customers on the proper procedures for renewing passwords and resetting various equipment (e.g. modems, controllers, terminals, printers, etc.), and to ensure that special instructions and outstanding hardware/software problems are relayed for shift changes.
7. Analyzes and troubleshoots computer/network system status to identify potential problems and develop solutions before outages occur.
8. Performs preventative maintenance to keep equipment in good operating condition and to prevent malfunctions from occurring.
|Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:||Knowledge of:
1. the principles, capabilities and operation of modern data processing systems and software.
2. basic computer components (e.g. memory, disk storage, tapes, terminal, printers, etc.).
3. basic data communications terminology.
1. perform detailed keyboard work with a high degree of accuracy.
2. follow detailed verbal and written instructions.
3. establish and maintain cooperative relations with customers, vendors and other personnel.
4. communicate orally and in writing.
5. apply problem-solving techniques and adopt an appropriate course of action.
6. complete work activities using established procedures and guidelines.
7. operate computer/network equipment (e.g. line monitor, terminals, consoles, etc.).
8. read and interpret technical reference manuals to resolve computer/network problems.
Ability to work any shift.
|Minimum Qualifications:||Any combination of education, training or experience which provides a general knowledge of computer or data processing concepts. Requires successful completion of the examination process.
Must sucessfully complete the examination process.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Current as of: 4/16/2014 8:49:23 PM