Job Descriptions & Pay
|Class Title:||BUDGET ANALYST|
|Salary Schedule:||Approved Arizona Law Enforcement Merit System Council Salary Schedule|
|Summary Statement:||Performs advanced journey-level budget preparation, fiscal analysis and administrative services at the Division level within the Department. Performs related duties as assigned. This is a competitive classification.
|Essential Functions:||(not intended to be all inclusive)
1. Monitors and tracks the Division budget and personal services expenditures.
2. Provides financial analysis of budget expenditures, incomes and reimbursements, and makes recommendations on a spending or reduction plan.
3. Maintains payroll figures for employees including salary and benefit costs by tracking employee activity.
4. Processes and tracks operating financial transactions.
5. Coordinates time and activity processing with specific responsibility for performing leave adjustments and entering leave without pay accounting summaries.
6. Reports information to management regarding budget issues/problems and assists in improving and maintaining budget controls.
7. Coordinates, directs and reviews the budgetary work of others in order to ensure tasks are completed accurately and in a timely manner. Trains personnel on budget-related issues.
8. Certifies expenditures are properly authorized and funds are readily available.
9. Participates in annual budget preparation and administration by providing historical and Division-specific information.
10. Prepares, reviews and reconciles budgetary and financial reports.
11. Prepares graphic presentations (e.g., matrices, charts, graphs, spreadsheets, tables, and time lines) to improve information presentation and comprehension.
12. Conducts vacancy savings, revenue and expenditure forecasting.
13. Conducts fiscal impact analyses.
14. Prepares payroll projections.
15. Assists in establishing financial standards and procedures.
16. Assists with and participates in the Department's program budgetary process.
17. Compiles and processes overtime.
18. Assists with the preparation of the Department's annual budget reports.
19. Prepares, processes and reviews written documents (e.g., correspondence, contracts, invoices, etc.) to ensure compliance.
20. Processes contracts by obtaining approval from Legal and acquiring all necessary signatures.
21. Participates in audits and/or inspections to provide information, make recommendations and procedural changes, and ensure compliance.
22. Maintains, distributes and audits undercover funds used by Department employees and other police agencies.
23. Distributes and tracks "flash" funds to outside police agencies.
24. Researches, gathers, summarizes and analyzes data to provide accurate information for briefs, reports, correspondence and presentations, and to develop and propose recommendations.
25. Develops and maintains automated systems to update and track information.
26. Responds to budget inquiries and related problems in order to provide assistance in resolving budget issues.
27. Analyzes, interprets and reviews regulations, laws, policies and procedures to ensure compliance.
28. Attends meetings, conferences and seminars to exchange information and/or address needs and concerns
|Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:||Knowledge of:
1. business English, spelling, grammar and punctuation to produce and proofread complex written documents.
2. principles and practices of mathematics, accounting and statistics.
3. financial research and analysis principles.
3. modern office practices, procedures and equipment required to perform office functions in an efficient manner.
4. records management systems (automated and manual).
5. state and federal statutes, laws and regulations applicable to governmental budget programs.
6. financial forecasting and analysis.
7. general accounting principles and state procurement policies.
8. budget policies and procedures required to develop and administer a program or work unit budget.
1. the use of computer software programs.
2. the use of computer keyboard devices.
3. reviewing, proofreading, editing and verifying forms, documents, computer printouts and other written materials for accuracy and adherence to policies and procedures.
4. modern office practices, procedures and equipment to perform office functions in an efficient manner.
5. report writing to produce analytical and technical reports.
1. read, comprehend and interpret complex written materials.
2. research and reconcile inaccuracies and errors in documents, computer printouts and other written materials.
3. calculate moderate to complex mathematical problems.
4. work within stringent deadlines to complete projects and assignments.
5. organize, prioritize and perform multiple tasks.
6. interpret Department policies and procedures to provide and clarify information for personnel.
7. compile, correlate, analyze and present statistical and financial data to determine and project budget needs.
8. develop and monitor a budget to ensure expenditures remain within allocated funding.
9. independently make decisions and take appropriate action to administer programs and complete projects
10. perform detailed work of a difficult nature with a high degree of accuracy.
11. establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of assignments.
12. make presentations to small and large audiences.
13. effectively communicate orally and in writing at all levels.
14. exercise good judgement in safeguarding confidential or sensitive information.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
May be required to sit for extended periods of time.
May be required to travel to perform certain work functions.
|Minimum Qualifications:||Requires one (1) year of experience as an Administrative Services Officer with budgetary experience with DPS OR a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance or a related field and five (5) years of professional and analytical budgetary experience.
Progression to the next pay level/step requires an overall performance rating of at least "Standard" in the last 12 months.
Must successfully complete the examination process.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Current as of: 12/6/2013 9:37:13 PM