Job Descriptions & Pay
|Class Title:||BACKGROUND INVESTIGATOR|
|Salary Schedule:||Approved Arizona Law Enforcement Merit System Council Salary Schedule|
|Summary Statement:||Responsible for completing confidential background investigations of applicants under consideration for hire by the Department by gathering, compiling and analyzing relevant facts. Performs related work as assigned. The work schedule for this classification can be assigned as either intermittent or regular. This is a competitive classification which may be held in either sworn or civilian status.|
|Essential Functions:||(not intended to be all inclusive)
1. Researches and conducts confidential investigative backgrounds on applicants for the Department.
2. Interviews subjects and references in person or by telephone; gathering, compiling and analyzing information relevant to applicants.
3. Assesses data from various databases and information systems to check for inconsistencies related to the applicant's background, financial information, possible criminal history, etc.
4. Analyzes findings and prepares summary reports with appropriate documentation to support recommendations for the applicant.
|Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:||Knowledge of:
1. report writing techniques in order to prepare clear, accurate and comprehensive reports.
2. law enforcement methods and techniques (e.g., conducting interrogations, interviews, investigations, etc.) to ensure extensive information is provided on background.
3. research techniques, statistical analysis and data collection.
4. electronic information systems to access data and prepare reports.
5. modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
6. business English, spelling and grammar.
1. computer software programs used in researching information and preparing reports.
2. the use of computer keyboard devices.
3. analyzing information and drawing valid conclusions.
1. communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
2. work within stringent deadlines.
3. organize, prioritize and perform multiple tasks to complete job functions in an orderly, efficient manner.
4. work independently with minimal supervision.
5. establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of assignment.
6. read, comprehend and interpret complex written materials.
7. understand written and verbal instructions to complete assigned tasks accurately.
8. perform detailed work with a high degree of accuracy.
9. exercise good judgment in safeguarding confidential or sensitive information.
10. exercise diplomacy when dealing with people in sensitive situations.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must possess a valid Arizona driver license by hire date.
May be required to travel to perform certain work functions.
Cannot be employed with another law enforcement agency concurrently.
|Minimum Qualifications:||Requires a minimum of five (5) years investigative experience in a law enforcement and/or military agency.
Progression to the next pay level/step requires an overall performance rating of at least "Standard" in the last 12 months.
Must successfully complete the examination process.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Current as of: 4/20/2014 2:10:31 PM