Job Descriptions & Pay
REGULATED VEHICLE INSPECTOR
|Class Title:||REGULATED VEHICLE INSPECTOR|
|Salary Schedule:||Approved Arizona Law Enforcement Merit System Council Salary Schedule|
|Summary Statement:||Under general supervision, conducts annual, on-site, mechanical and safety inspections of motor vehicles regulated by the State of Arizona, including school buses and tow trucks. Performs related duties as assigned. This is a competitive classification.|
|Essential Functions:||(not intended to be all inclusive)
1. Performs stationary inspections of regulated motor vehicle fleets, within an assigned territory, to assess compliance with State and Federal laws and regulations.
2. Inspects and assesses the condition of all of the vehicleâ€™s essential mechanical systems and components.
3. Inspects and assesses the condition and integrity of the vehicleâ€™s body and related components.
4. Ensures the presence and working condition of the vehicleâ€™s required safety equipment.
5. Prepares reports based on findings from the inspections to be presented to the fleetâ€™s manager and/or mechanics.
6. Explains and interprets related laws and regulations and communicates with the fleetâ€™s manager and mechanics to help ensure the fleetâ€™s compliance with State and Federal laws and regulations.
|Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:||Knowledge of:
1. motor vehicle maintenance procedures including proper inspection techniques using a checklist.
2. basic mechanical parts and systems of motor vehicles, including the principles and operation of braking, fuel, steering, suspension and electrical systems.
1. communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, to complete reports and share findings with interested parties.
2. operate and interpret results from testing equipment and measuring tools.
3. professionally deal with individuals, sometimes in difficult situations.
4. operate a computer and standard office equipment.
5. work independently with minimal supervision.
6. identify problems and concerns.
7. exercise good judgment to make decisions based on inspection findings.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIRMENTS:
May be required to frequently stand, stoop, bend, kneel, squat, reach overhead and lay flat for extended periods of time.
May be exposed to fumes or dust, toxic or caustic chemicals, outdoor weather, moving mechanical parts and moderate to loud noise levels.
Must be able to travel frequently statewide.
May be required to work extended or irregular hours.
Must be able to obtain a Commercial Driver License within six months of employment.
Must successfully complete the North American Standard Inspection Program, Part B, Commercial Vehicle Inspection class within six months of employment.
|Minimum Qualifications:||Requires two (2) years experience or education in the mechanical operations of motor vehicles, preferably with buses and/or heavy trucks. Must possess a valid Arizona driver license at the time of employment.
Progression to the next pay level/step requires an overall performance rating of at least "Standard" in the last 12 months.
Must successfully complete the examination process.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Current as of: 5/18/2013 4:19:52 PM