Job Descriptions & Pay
COMMUNICATIONS TOWER TECHNICIAN TRAINEE
|Class Title:||COMMUNICATIONS TOWER TECHNICIAN TRAINEE|
|Salary Schedule:||Approved Arizona Law Enforcement Merit System Council Salary Schedule|
|Summary Statement:||This is a limited term, trainee position in communication tower construction, maintenance, and rigging. It is designed to allow the incumbent to acquire the necessary skills, training and experience required to enter the classification of Communications Tower Technician. Advancement to Communications Tower Technician is earned after satisfactory performance during this one year probationary period and successful completion of the Communications Tower Technician examination process.
The Communications Tower Technician Trainee, under close supervision, assists with the construction, installation, maintenance and repair of antenna systems, communication towers and support structures, throughout the state. The Communications Tower Technician Trainee will be required to travel extensively throughout the state, work irregular hours, and work under hazardous conditions in the performance of the job. Performs other duties as assigned. This is a competitive classification.
|Essential Functions:||1. Climbs and works on communications towers for the purpose of installing, replacing, and repairing antenna systems equipment; performs tower maintenance.
2. Installs tower foundations and erects towers using construction and rigging equipment, and earth moving machinery.
3. Fabricates metal support brackets and support structures using welding equipment.
4. Keeps records and assures that maintenance is performed on pool trucks and construction equipment.
|Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:||KNOWLEDGE OF:
1. the basic use and care of hand tools and mechanical equipment.
2. the basic methods of arc and oxyacetylene welding.
3. the hazards associated with tower climbing, construction equipment, and working on or near energized lines and equipment, and appropriate safety precautions and equipment.
4. basic vehicle maintenance requirements.
1. drive 4-wheel drive vehicles.
2. operate heavy construction equipment (e.g., concrete mixer, backhoe, ditch witch, etc.).
3. analyze situations accurately and adopt an appropriate course of action.
4. to communicate orally and in writing.
5. follow instructions accurately and complete assigned course of action.
6. recognize safety hazards and perform duties in a safe manner.
7. work under close supervision.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ability to climb tall structures (100 feet or more) with 50 lb. load to perform work at altitudes of up to 12,000 feet.
2. Ability to lift heavy objects (up to 35 pounds).
3. Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.
4. Availability to work irregular hours and/or respond to emergency call-outs on a 24 hour basis.
5. Ability to travel extensively throughout the state.
6. Applicant/Employee's weight and tools combined may not exceed 280-pound weight limit as specified by the manufacturer of safety equipment.
7. Applicant/Employee's waist circumference must not exceed 60 inches measured at the navel as specified by the manufacturer of safety equipment.
|Minimum Qualifications:||Requires all of the following:
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Working knowledge of basic hand tools, mechanical equipment, and electro-mechanical equipment.
3. Possession of a valid Arizona driver license no later than effective starting date.
Must successfully complete the examination process.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Current as of: 12/7/2013 3:20:15 PM