Job Descriptions & Pay
TECHNICAL SERVICES MANAGER
|Class Title:||TECHNICAL SERVICES MANAGER|
|Salary Schedule:||Approved Arizona Law Enforcement Merit System Council Salary Schedule|
|Summary Statement:||Under administrative direction from the Information Technology Manager, directs, coordinates, and exercises functional authority for planning, organizing, controlling, integrating, designing, implementing, and enhancing the network, server, and mainframe infrastructure and security. Performs related duties as assigned. This is a competitive classification.|
|Essential Functions:||(not intended to be all inclusive)
1. Supervises the work unit and personnel, directly and through subordinate supervisors, which includes: interviewing prospective employees; providing and/or recommending training; coordinating, scheduling and assigning work product; establishing performance measures, goals, objectives and priorities; evaluating work performance; providing feedback, direction and guidance; keeping personnel abreast of new or revised information; answering questions; and recommending and/or implementing personnel actions.
2. Manages the data center to ensure information systems are secure and protected from attack (electronic and physical) and interruption (electrical, weather, communications, etc.).
3. Through and with subordinates, designs computer networks to develop secure and efficient L/WANs, meet customer needs, and alleviate complex network traffic.
4. Directs the development, design, re-design, implementation, and enhancement of manual and automated systems to increase efficiency, customer service and employee productivity.
5. Conducts needs assessments of user requirements to determine current and future needs and develops and/or revises processes specific to assigned business unit.
6. Monitors Help Desk service requests to ensure the ITB Technical Services requests are being handled in a timely manner with a high rate of favorable resolutions.
7. Tracks and manages projects to ensure they are completed on budget and in a timely manner.
8. Reviews Federal and State legislation, regulations, and proposed regulation changes to determine the impact on existing information systems or the need for new systems and ensures adherence to applicable laws, policies, and procedures.
9. Participates in the development of the Department-wide information technology strategic plan to outline automation goals and objectives, and major project plans and accomplishments.
10. Develops project proposals which include business justification, risks, goals and objectives, and scope of work. Prepares and submits grant proposals, grant budgets, and grant reports to obtain and maintain funding for projects.
11. Prepares, processes, and administers various contracts (e.g., outside services, professional, purchase, etc.).
12. Administers the business unit's budget and oversees the expenditures and budget allotments.
13. Reviews and recommends policies and procedures to ensure the proper distribution of criminal justice information to customers.
14. Monitors and evaluates computer systems to ensure each system and network performance is at its peak operating capacity and efficiency level.
15. Attends meetings or conferences to obtain or disseminate information regarding assigned work area issues and programs.
16. Remains current on job-specific procedures through training courses, professional associations, and trade publications.
|Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:||Knowledge of:
1. network infrastructure, mainframe, windows, and AIX server hardware and operating systems; capabilities, operations, management, maintenance, design, and security principles and concepts.
2. database and email systems operations, capabilities, management, maintenance, design, and security principles and concepts, including: Atabas, DB2, MS SQL, and Lotus Notes.
3. the principles and techniques of developing performance and productivity standards.
4. federal, state and local programs and resources regarding area of assignment.
5. crisis management techniques.
6. various applications software.
7. the technology and terminology of automated systems.
8. principles and practices of supervision of personnel.
9. team concepts (e.g. team building, leadership, participation, and group problem solving techniques).
10. interviewing techniques for the purpose of recommending staff selections.
1. project management (e.g., planning, costing, organizing, coordinating, and supervising projects of varying size and magnitude.).
2. the use of computer hardware and peripherals.
3. analyzing information and complex problems, identifying alternative solutions, and taking appropriate action.
4. discussing technical information and issues with both technical and non-technical personnel.
1. read, comprehend, analyze, and interpret complex, technical written materials.
2. establish feasible short- and long-term goals and objectives for the assigned work unit consistent with Department goals and objectives.
3. establish and maintain positive working relationships with those contacted in the course of assignment.
4. monitor trends, forecast change, identify future IT needs and initiate change.
5. develop effective operating procedures to direct work functions.
6. make presentations before groups of people and communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with individuals at various levels within the Department.
7. work independently and adapt to changing environments and technologies.
8. prepare and administer budgets and contracts.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
|Minimum Qualifications:||Requires a Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, MIS, CIS, Business Administration or related computer technology study and three (3) years' experience directly supervising professional-level network and system engineers within the information systems function of a large mainframe and networked environment. Additional experience may substitute for education.
NOTE: One year of work experience is equivalent to thirty (30) semester hours of coursework from an accredited college or university.
Must successfully complete the examination process.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Current as of: 3/11/2014 6:57:00 PM