Job Descriptions & Pay
SUPPORT SERVICES ASSISTANT
|Class Title:||SUPPORT SERVICES ASSISTANT|
|Salary Schedule:||Approved Arizona Law Enforcement Merit System Council Salary Schedule|
|Summary Statement:||Responsible for a variety of general office duties to include responding to routine inquiries over the telephone and in person, word processing, data entry and retrieval, maintaining accurate and detailed records and verifying accuracy of information. Performs related duties as assigned. This is a competitive classification.|
|Essential Functions:||(not intended to be all inclusive)
1. Answers incoming telephone calls in order to provide assistance or refer call to appropriate staff member using a multi-line telephone system.
2. Communicates orally with Department employees and other state and law enforcement personnel, vendors and the general public both in person and by telephone in order to obtain and disseminate information and resolve discrepancies.
3. Enters a variety of information (e.g., time and activity, evaluations, call signs, etc.) into a computerized tracking system in order to originate, update, reconcile, transfer and track data.
4. Greets visitors (e.g., Department personnel, other state or law enforcement agency personnel and the general public) in person in order to provide assistance or refer to appropriate staff member.
5. Establishes, updates and maintains manual and automated filing systems for confidential and administrative records in order to update and track information.
6. Researches equipment or payment information in order to complete forms, reconcile errors and ensure accuracy of document information.
7. Prepares typed copy (e.g., correspondence, minutes, memoranda, briefs, agendas, contracts and reports) from written, oral or recorded information in order to produce error free documents.
8. Maintains and stocks office supplies for assigned work unit to ensure availability of supplies.
9. Queries Electronic Mail System (EMS) in order to obtain information for section personnel.
10. Prepares various forms (e.g., Personnel/Position Action Requests (PARS) and purchase requisitions) within assigned work unit.
11. Reviews and analyzes files, documents, computer printouts and other printed material in order to ensure the completeness and accuracy of documents.
12. Enters and retrieves information from manual and automated files, documents and other written materials in order to resolve discrepancies, answer questions and track payments, expenditures or inventory.
13. Manages assigned unit's mail: prepares outgoing interdepartmental and U.S. mail for pickup and sorts incoming correspondence in order to forward to appropriate staff member.
14. Remains current on modern office and job-specific procedures through job-related training courses in order to apply appropriate methodologies.
15. Proofreads a variety of written information (e.g., correspondence, agendas, contracts, electronic mail, etc.) to ensure accuracy of information, consistency with administrative policy, format, working and grammatical correctness using a dictionary in accordance with DPS General Orders and Department policies and procedures.
|Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:||Knowledge of:
1. business English, spelling, grammar and punctuation required to produce and proofread simple written documents.
2. modern office practices and procedures required to perform office functions in an efficient manner.
3. records management systems (both automated and paper files) to ensure accurate maintenance of files and ease of retrieval.
1. the use of computer software programs.
2. the use of computer keyboard devices.
1. effectively communicate both orally and in writing at all levels.
2. operate a multi-line phone system in order to answer and route multiple incoming calls in a professional, efficient manner.
3. greet visitors in a courteous, professional and efficient manner.
4. understand written and verbal instruction to complete assigned tasks accurately.
5. exercise good judgment in safeguarding confidential or sensitive information.
6. research and reconcile inaccuracies and errors in documents, computer printouts and other written materials.
7. establish and maintain complex records and filing systems for the purpose of maintaining and easily retrieving accurate information.
8. establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of assignment.
9. organize, prioritize and perform multiple tasks to complete job functions in an orderly, efficient manner.
10. read, comprehend, and interpret written materials of simple to moderate complexity.
11. calculate mathematical problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of simple to moderate difficulty.
12. perform detailed work with a high degree of accuracy.
13. work within stringent deadlines to complete projects and assignments within a restricted time period.
14. receive complaints and appropriately refer to necessary personnel.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
|Minimum Qualifications:||Requires six (6) months of general clerical experience involving the use of personal computers; or any combination of training, education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must type a minimum of 45 net words per minute.
Progression to the next pay level/step requires an overall performance rating of at least "Standard" in the last 12 months.
Must successfully complete the examination process.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Current as of: 5/22/2013 11:21:01 AM