Job Descriptions & Pay
|Class Title:||SECURITY OFFICER|
|Salary Schedule:||Approved Arizona Law Enforcement Merit System Council Salary Schedule|
|Summary Statement:||Under general supervision provides armed security for buildings and property.
Controls access; monitors security systems and inspects facilities for security violations, hazards and other problems.
Performs other duties as required. This is a competitive classification.
|Essential Functions:||(not intended to be all inclusive)
1. Assesses security needs and controls employee and visitor access to buildings and property ensuring only authorized entry and arrival at their predetermined destination.
2. Receives visitors and employees in order to provide assistance.
3. Monitors and controls all fire and security alarms, access control systems and visitor management systems statewide and notifies appropriate personnel/agencies for emergencies or service/maintenance.
4. Operates and maintains data in computerized access systems in order to authorize appropriate access level for entry into facilities.
5. Patrols buildings and grounds; responds to and reports emergencies, unusual incidents or occurrences in order to minimize or deter the development of hazardous or dangerous situations.
6. Monitors and operates multiple CCTV monitors and video surveillance systems in order to record activities and retrieve video records at varied locations from a central station.
7. Maintains lock and key records to include collecting, duplicating and issuing locks and keys.
8. Logs and issues Departmental pool vehicles and fuel cards for temporary use by employees.
9. Documents information about unusual incidents; establishes, creates, updates, and maintains manual and automated filing systems and controls access to confidential information.
10. Operates two-way communications system in order to remain in constant radio contact with other security and department personnel.
11. Screens and logs hand-delivered envelopes and packages in order to inspect for hazards.
12. Maintains proficiency in the use of assigned weapons and equipment.
13. Provides training to new security personnel and attends job-related training.
14. Conducts safety and security inspections and evacuation drills of department facilities
15. Provides crowd/traffic control and administers first aid as needed.
|Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:||
Knowledge of:1. principles and practices of security.
2. basic security, alarm, fire suppression and access control systems.
3. basic first aid and CPR.
1. work effectively under highly stressful conditions.
2. establish and maintain courteous and effective working relationships with others.
3. interpret and act upon moderately difficult written information.
4. communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing for the purpose of obtaining and disseminating information.
5 work independently with minimal supervision.
6. apply deadly force in accordance with Department policies/procedures.
7. exercise diplomacy when dealing with people in sensitive situations.
8. apply active listening techniques in order to obtain complete and accurate information.
9. function effectively as a member of a team.
10. analyze information and draw logical conclusions.
11. rapidly prioritize a variety of tasks and take appropriate action.
12. operate a personal computer and standard office equipment
13. operate a variety of communications equipment, security alarm systems and video recording systems.
14. apply first responder techniques in performing emergency first aid (e.g. triage, and CPR, etc.).
15. successfully complete firearms training to meet and maintain established firearms standards.
16. control uncooperative subjects.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:May be required to work irregular hours, holidays, weekends, call-out and overtime.
May be required to walk or stand for extended periods of time.
May be required to work in varying weather conditions.
May be required to become a Notary Public.
Some security assignments may require US Government secret level clearance.
|Minimum Qualifications:||Requires two (2) years of experience as a security officer involving public contact to include at least one (1) year of experience monitoring security and/or fire alarm systems or one (1) year of experience as a military police officer, law enforcement officer or corrections/detention officer.
Must have a valid Arizona driver license.
Progression to the next pay level/step requires an overall performance rating of at least "Standard" in the last 12 months.
Must successfully complete the examination process.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Current as of: 4/18/2014 9:05:48 AM