Job Descriptions & Pay
PRODUCTION CONTROL SPECIALIST
|Class Title:||PRODUCTION CONTROL SPECIALIST|
|Salary Schedule:||Approved Arizona Law Enforcement Merit System Council Salary Schedule|
|Summary Statement:||Under general supervision, is responsible for reviewing and setting up computer production jobs; scheduling and submitting critical production jobs and special requests to computer; maintaining and servicing an on-line computer tape library; processing of computer output per request of users; and training new staff as requested. This is a competitive classification.|
|Essential Functions:||(not intended to be all inclusive)
1. Generates production documentation and reports (e.g. statistical, daily, monthly, special requests, etc.) to provide current and precise information in the form of hard copy or on-line production jobs for use by management and employees using mainframe terminals/personal computers, and appropriate software applications (e.g., TSO, EMS, database, word processing, etc.).
2. Monitors the Arizona Criminal Justice Information System (ACJIS) to ensure location codes are current and accurate and to generate labels with current title and location codes using mainframe terminals/personal computers, and appropriate software applications (e.g., TSO, EMS, database, word processing, etc.).
3. Maintains daily operations production schedule to ensure production jobs are run on time and run properly with current and precise information, to provide efficient report usage for customers, and to purge productions jobs/output that are no longer needed using mainframe terminals/personal computers, and appropriate software applications (e.g. TSO, EMS, database, word processing, etc.).
4. Researches production and non-production jobs by checking for error condition codes and notifying computer analysts of problems when error conditions occur using the mainframe terminal.
5. Researches production job status to determine the successful completion or the status of the production job using mainframe terminals/personal computers, and appropriate software applications.
6. Performs migration of new programs and/or changes from the test environment to production using mainframe terminals/personal computers, and appropriate software applications.
7. Maintains inventories of production computer supplies (e.g. computer paper, tapes, etc.) to ensure adequate availability for data processing operations using a personal computer and state vehicle.
8. Distributes reports to various DPS units and other agencies through interoffice, interagency or U.S. mail using a distribution list.
9. Enters and updates data to provide accurate statistical criminal justice information (e.g. UCRS report, etc.) to users and customers (e.g. DPS personnel, other state and federal agencies, etc.) using mainframe terminals/personal computers, and appropriate software applications.
10. Communicates orally with Department employees and other customers both in person and by telephone to distribute reports and provide technical knowledge of data processing operations and standards.
11. Receives, retrieves and processes cartridge and tape information for and from various agencies and DPS departments (e.g. Motor Vehicle Department, Federal Bureau of Investigation, ACJIS, Concealed Weapons, etc.) to generate hard copy for processing reports, to reload the DPS tape library, and to ensure correct data files are stored for emergency and/or disaster recovery purposes using a mainframe computer, appropriate software applications, the vault, and technical manuals.
12. Obtains and logs the volume serial numbers (volsers) on tape cartridges to track the tapes that are sent off site and to guarantee rotation of tapes for disaster recovery purposes using the mainframe terminal and appropriate software applications.
13. Ensures computer programmers and operators receive documentation verification of new production jobs and notifies them when new jobs are set up and ready for production using mainframe terminals/personal computer, appropriate software applications printers and copiers.
14. Prepares daily and/or monthly work schedules for upcoming months in order to generate reports on certain days and times to provide current information using mainframe terminals/personal computer, appropriate software applications, printers and copiers.
15. Updates and files hard copies of production jobs in various filing systems (e.g. authorization book, schedule book, setup book, master packet file, etc.) to ensure a current hard copy of all reports for audit purposes and as backup reference information.
16. Sets up and submits new job information to the existing job list schedule and job calendar and notifies supervisor or program operations that it is ready for production using mainframe terminals/personal computer and appropriate software applications.
17. Maintains vault storage of tapes by submitting/retrieving/outcoding off site reports and pulling/storing tapes using a mainframe terminal, appropriate software applications and a printer.
18. Reviews documentation to ensure accountability of sensitive information and to check for proper authorization for copies of or access to address and badge listings.
19. Processes time and activity records of data processing employees to ensure timely entry of records of time worked and activities performed by employees using a personal computer or terminal.
20. Explains various procedures (e.g. Time and Activity, unit policies, etc.) to new DPS personnel to provide training and understanding of data processing functions necessary to complete their work using mainframe terminals/personal computers and appropriate software applications.
21. Generates labels specifically requested by users, and updates and deletes label information for future requests using the mainframe terminal and appropriate software (e.g. Label system).
22. Operates bursting, shredding and decollating equipment to separate reports and properly dispose of confidential information.
|Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:||Knowledge of:
1. DPS general orders.
2. UCRS procedures for purposes of running reports.
3. office filing and record keeping procedures.
4. personal computer software applications (e.g. dBase III, MS Access, FoxPro, Lotus 123, MS Excel, WordPerfect, etc.).
5. the principles, capabilities and operation of modern data processing equipment (e.g. personal computers, mainframe terminals, laser printers, etc.)
1. using label software to generate labels in response to user needs.
2. translate requests for information into appropriate computer commands in order to generate reports in response to user needs.
3. the use of mainframe and personal computer operating systems and software (e.g. DOS, TSO, TMS, CICS, MVS, EMS, TRAP, TERM, etc.)
4. operating modern office equipment (e.g. computer, printer, typewriter, FAX machine, copier, collator, burster, shredder, etc.).
1. communicate orally and in writing with computer users in a courteous and professional manner.
2. work with programming personnel for research and problem solving with software.
3. work with computer operations personnel as a team to provide quality service for users.
4. type at a speed necessary for adequate job performance.
5. operate a multi-line telephone system in order to answer and route incoming calls in a professional, efficient manner.
6. store, issue, inventory, and safeguard an on-line computer tape library.
7. work independently with minimal supervision.
8. identify problems, analyze alternative solutions and develop viable recommendations.
9. train new employees.
|Minimum Qualifications:||Requires two (2) years of experience in on-line terminal equipment operations; OR completion of the equivalent of six (6) semester hours of coursework from an accredited college, university, or technical school in computer operations.
Progression to the next pay level/step requires an overall performance rating of at least "Standard" in the last 12 months.
Must successfully complete the examination process.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Please download and review the below document(s) relating to this position:
Current as of: 3/9/2014 5:29:18 AM