Job Descriptions & Pay
|Class Title:||POLYGRAPH EXAMINER|
|Salary Schedule:||Approved Arizona Law Enforcement Merit System Council Salary Schedule|
|Summary Statement:||Administers polygraph examinations for employment screening, internal investigations and criminal cases. Performs related duties as assigned. This is a competitive classification.|
|Essential Functions:||(not intended to be all inclusive)
1. Administers polygraph screening tests to employment applicants of the Department and other law enforcement agencies.
2. Reads and interprets polygraph chart responses in order to determine the results of polygraph examinations as to the truth or deception of the information provided.
3. Prepares polygraph reports in order to summarize results of polygraph examinations using modern office equipment.
4. Formulates questions to be asked during the polygraph examination regarding criminal cases, internal investigations and employment screening to ensure that pertinent information will be addressed.
5. Supervises the work and training of part-time examiners to include monitoring and scheduling types of tests; quality controlling examinations to render appropriate decisions and recommendations; and reviewing and approving polygraph reports, charts, notes and preparation documents.
6. Remains current on job-specific issues through meetings, classes, conferences and publications.
7. Communicates with law enforcement agencies throughout the state in order to provide assistance in the investigation of criminal cases.
8. Evaluates all incoming requests for polygraph services to determine scheduling feasibility.
9. Administers polygraph examinations to crime suspects and victims of/witnesses to crimes in order to verify statements and affidavits relating to a criminal case or internal investigation.
10. Reviews and updates policies and procedures applicable to unit.
11. Defends and explains polygraph office competence, procedures, opinions and techniques to various levels of authority.
12. Prepares monthly and quarterly statistical reports.
13. Provides expert testimony in court in order to explain polygraph examination results for criminal cases.
14. Maintains polygraph instrument by cleaning, repairing or replacing parts to ensure the proper function of components.
15. Reviews polygraph examinations administered by non-departmental examiners for quality control purposes, upon request.
|Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:||Knowledge of:
1. modern office practices, procedures and equipment required to perform functions in an efficient manner.
2. internal organs of the body in relation to various types of tracings recorded and causes of responses at times of emotional stress.
3. applied psychology and physiology relevant to polygraph testing.
4. constitutional rights of persons regarding confessions.
5. the working components of a polygraph instrument.
6. criminal investigative procedures.
1. the use of a polygraph instrument.
2. oral and written communication relating to the preparation of polygraph reports.
1. read and interpret polygraph chart responses.
2. conduct thorough interrogations and/or interviews regarding criminal matters.
3. establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of assignment.
4. establish rapport with the polygraph examinee.
5. determine and extract pertinent information from police reports and case information.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
|Minimum Qualifications:||Requires successful completion of approved polygraph coursework and three (3) years experience in criminal investigation or polygraph administration.
Progression to the next pay level/step requires an overall performance rating of at least "Standard" in the last 12 months.
Must successfully complete the examination process.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Current as of: 5/20/2013 6:32:29 AM