Licensing & Regulatory
Overview / Mission
To assist in protecting the public by conducting state and federal criminal record background checks on persons in a position of trust or working with children, the elderly or those with developmental disabilities and to regulate the private investigator and security guard industry and the issuance of carry concealed weapons permits.
The Licensing & Regulatory Bureau consists of the following sections:
Concealed Weapons Permit Unit (CWPU) -
- Process new and renewal Concealed Carry Weapons (CCW) permit applications; and issue Certificates of Firearms Proficiency in accordance with the Law Enforcement Officer's Safety Act (LEOSA) of 2004.
- Respond to inquiries from the public, media outlets, industry professionals and governmental entities regarding eligibility, program trends and legislative actions.
- Provide training to law enforcement personnel.
- Maintain the "Official Arizona Concealed Weapons" web page
For addition information please visit the Concealed Weapons Website.
Licensing Unit (LIC) -
- To license applicants who qualify to operate a private investigator or security guard business.
- To register qualified applicants for employment as a private investigator or security guard.
For addition information please visit the Licensing Website.
Applicant Clearance Card Team (ACCT) -
- To process applications for fingerprint clearance cards.
- To periodically update the status of current fingerprint clearance cards.
For addition information please visit the Fingerprint Clearance Cards web page.
Applicant Team (AT) -
- To conduct state and federal fingerprint based criminal records checks for authorized recipients.