Intelligence & Special Operations
The Intelligence Bureau is the focus of Arizona’s Intelligence-Led policing effort. Utilizing an all crimes approach, the bureau has numerous assets to assist criminal justice agencies throughout Arizona and the nation. Some of the more prominent services include.
- The Arizona Counter Terrorism Information Center (ACTIC), a joint effort between the State of Arizona, Federal Bureau of Investigation and numerous participating agencies to form a collective intelligence service dedicated to interdicting and preventing terrorism in the state.
- The High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) program collects, analyzes, coordinates, and disseminates information to law enforcement for interdicting and investigating illicit drug trafficking, money laundering, and associated violent crimes.
- The Intelligence Investigations District collects and investigates information in support of mission objectives.
- The Strategic Analysis Unit processes information from numerous sources into viable intelligence products for use by criminal justice agencies.
- The Criminal Investigations Research Unit (CIRU) which identifies and completes background research on suspects involved in criminal activity, serves as the state liaison for the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL) and participates in the Amber Alert Program.
- The Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) district consisting of tactical units, explosive ordinance disposal personnel, crisis negotiations specialists, and tactical canine specialists. Services are provided on a 24-hour basis throughout the state and include technical assistance and training to other criminal justice agencies.
- The Weapons of Mass Destruction/Hazardous Materials unit tasked with providing personal protective services to officers, responding to clandestine drug labs and providing investigative support for chemical, biological, radioactive, nuclear, and explosive (CBRNE) cases.